Saturday, November 28, 2009

Happy Holidays?

I don't think I've ever heard it called "Turkey Drop Season" before until NPR this morning ran a story called, "Want to Break Up? Tis the Season, So Better Hurry." It seems that if you are in a relationship that isn't really going anywhere, you need to break up now because otherwise you are stuck. Nobody wants to be the cad that breaks up at Christmas. And then there's the whole New Year thing. And right after that you have Valentine's Day. And I can see the point.

The only time I ever dumped a guy was right after the Thanksgiving break my freshman year at college. We'd met at college, so it wasn't a long distance thing. But having that weekend with my extended family in the area gave me time to stop and think what in the world was I doing with him. So I came back and I believe I told him we should stop seeing each other less than a week after Thanksgiving.

The one time I got dumped was right after New Year. And that sucked. Especially because he did it by telling me we should be friends, and then when I treated him like a friend, he sent me an email and told me to have a nice life. So not only did I get dumped right in the middle of the holiday season, he didn't have the guts to make it final in person and did it by email instead. I replied and told him to send me a postcard from Hades.

But then, breaking up before Christmas means you don't have to try and figure out a present for them. Guys are hard to shop for. (Related: You mean I have to do it again?) At least this year I know exactly what I'm getting for him. In fact, it's already wrapped and under the tree.

1 comments:

Trixie said...

Ouch. Campbell was dumped just a couple of years ago right before Thanksgiving. Of course, it turned out to be a good thing, but it still hurt him very much.