Monday, November 9, 2009

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

While that's what Shakespeare said, I don't think it's completely true. A name is not just a sound associated with an object, it is a part of that object.

I've had my name for more than 30 years. It's not just what I am called, it's who I am. And so when people ask me if I'm changing my name after I get married, the honest answer in my mind is that I'm not. I'm taking HP's name. I'm adding that. But I'm not changing my name to something else. I'm still me, I should still have my name.

Yesterday I was filling out a donation slip at church and realized that it will be the last time when I fill in the spot for "full name" that I'll write my name as it is now. That was a weird moment for me. I'm not sad about it, it's just a little strange.

When I told HP about that moment he said he's still not used to seeing my name with his like that. I found that very comforting, that it's an adjustment to him as well.

And why shouldn't it be? He's known me for several years, and while he has a few pet names for me which I love, he's only known my name as the one I've had from birth.

It's nice to know that this addition to my name is an adjustment not only for me but probably for everyone around me as well. I'm suddenly wondering what kind of adjustment it will be for my family, the only people who have known me my whole life. That has to be big for them too.

The next time you hear from me, I'll still be Roxie on this side of the computer, but on the other side of the computer I'll have a different name. Should be a fun weekend. :)

0 comments: