Monday, November 1, 2010

Have some from Column A, try all of Column B

I see a lot of reference to Plan A being "get married, have kids" and Plan B being "have a career until Plan A kicks in."


I don't know that I've ever really thought that way. Yes, I've always wanted to get married and have kids, but I've also always wanted to get an education and have a career. If we're really talking about the dichotomy of Plans A and B, I'm on Plan WhoKnowsWhat, because when I was younger I wanted to be an astronaut. And a wife and mom. Then I wanted to be a teacher. And a wife and mom. Then I wanted to do something sort of related to teaching that turned into what I actually do, love, and have a Masters degree in, and be a wife and mom.

Obviously, the wife and mom thing has yet to start, but I have faith that it will.

So, I'm living my life how I want to - working, playing, traveling, getting an education, and doing all this according to my personal, moral, and religious beliefs and things I just plain enjoy.

Is there a problem with that?

Not at all! I'd much rather be with someone who also lives life to the fullest, so to attract that kind of person, I will be that kind of person.

And now I have a name for it, thanks to a comment made by Stephanie on a post from Miss Nemesis.

Plan Kick@$$!

Here's what she said:
Frankly, I'm tired of the world-creating a false dichotomy- you either want Plan A or Plan B. I always wanted both plans. I didn't see my education/career as something that got in the way of marriage/children. I don't see marriage/children as something that eliminates my need for education/career.
My Plan A works together with my Plan B. Right now, I am working. Maybe someday I will be a SAHM. Maybe someday I will be whatever acronym we apply to working mothers. Maybe someday I will go back to school. Who knows?
I guess what I am not-so-clearly saying is that I never really had a Plan A (get married, have kids) or a Plan B (get a degree, have career.)
I had a Plan Kick@$$. Degrees! Jobs! Relationships! Potential for spit-up and barf! What is not to love about Plan Kick@$$?
That's it exactly! It's what my mom did, and it's worked out well for her. She, too, had a Masters by 25, which is when she got married and started having kids, and was a SAHM until the youngest was in school. Until starting a full-time job this year now that she's an empty nester, she always worked part-time so she could be home for us kids. I always cite my mother as my example for the framework of my life plans, because she kicked @$$ and I will too.

Who's with me?

1 comments:

Trixie said...

I stopped categorizing my Life Plans long ago. I think I'm up to Plan Q, but I have no idea.

I like Plan Kick@$$.

I like it a lot.